Every year over Labor Day weekend the IRS upgrades their computer and electrical systems. Beginning later this evening, the IRS will be taking systems down. Here’s a partial list of what will be going down:
- The ability to apply online for an EIN will be down from early Thursday morning until Tuesday at 12 noon EDT.
- The main IRS toll free numbers will have limited service available on Thursday and Friday until 4pm EDT. The numbers will then be down until Tuesday at 12 noon EDT.
- CP2000 Notice information will be available during the hours as listed on the notice.
- IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers will be open during their normal hours, but cannot take cash payments.
- EFTPS will be up, but payments will not be processed until IRS systems are restored on Tuesday. However, your payments will be noted as of the day you post the payment on EFTPS.
A complete list of what will be available during the outage is available here.